It is always a pleasure when the place you’re visiting has ample options for sightseeing, shopping, gorging on delicious food and getting more intimate with the culture. Kolkata, the most well-known city in Eastern India, is popularly called the ‘cultural capital of India’. Healthy nurturing of cultural content is a key part of Bengali lifestyle. From hosting literary meets and book fairs, to organizing exhibitions promoting works of indigenous as well as blue chip artists from a variety of sectors – Kolkata knows how to keep up its reputation of being an artistic and intellectual powerhouse!
Thus, tourists visiting the city of joy in January and February who want a taste of the Bengali way of life are truly lucky, because they can be part of some of the most awaited events of the year! Below are listed 3 great fairs and events worth exploring in the coming weeks.
The Haat is a premier event which brings together products, items and creations from different corners of India onto a single platform. The main categories focused on are fashion and lifestyle. This fair can easily transport shoppers to cloud nine as there’s both variety and value in the products offered. From an assortment of apparels, fabrics and sarees, to unique ornaments, to modern home furnishing options – it’s hard to not find what you’ve been looking for, or fancy new things you see!
Dates: 31st Jan – 4th Feb
Venue: Ice Skating Rink, Syed Amir Ali Avenue, Kolkata
Timing: 11: 00 A.M. – 08:00 P.M.
Historic Walking Trails
In the older parts of Kolkata, there’s an ancient and intriguing story associated with every neighborhood. Walking trails headed by knowledgeable guides is a great way to appreciate the prosperous history fueling this city. Following a two interesting walking trails early risers must take part in:
- Pilgrim’s Trail: Chitpore Road Walk – Mention of Chitpore road is found in several Bengali poems from 17th century where pilgrims bound to Kalighat temple referred to it as the highway road. This area is older than the city itself and has witnessed a mountain of exciting historical events. Participants get to explore this ancient locality in depth, which has acquired several feathers on its cap! For example, it is home to the city’s oldest temples and the house where the East Bengal Club was founded. The trail ends with a hearty enjoyment of tasty rasgollas at Chittaranjan!
Date and time: 19th Jan 7:30 – 10 a.m.
- Metiabruz Trails – A lost legacy: This walking trail takes us through a hidden heritage zone in Kolkata. Participants get to experience the poignant story of the last Nawabs of Awadh, while being mesmerized by the grand mosques, imambaras and the royal Awadhi cuisine. The near-forgotten legacy of Awadh kingdom is deeply connected to the history of Calcutta – don’t miss the chance to explore it!
Date and time: 20th Jan 8:00 – 10:30 a.m.
Open Air Hangout 2019
To enjoy a gala time filled with great fashion, runway shows, music and food, make it to this special entertainment event being organized in Kolkata. This unique fair combines the experience of a food festival with a flea market. Come prepared to be awestruck by the sophistication of high fashion and art, while you please your tummy with delicious food from top restaurants across the city. You’re sure to find awesome buys, promotional items and great draw prizes!
Venue: PC Chandra Gardens
Dates: 23rd and 24th Feb
Where to stay in Kolkata?
While there are several good hotels to stay in Kolkata, it is advisable to choose a hotel with free wifi in Kolkata; because it helps you plan your itinerary in the best manner after checking all the good things to do online. Hotel VIP International is one such hotel near Park Street area that delights travelers with top-notch service, modern infrastructure and a luxurious staying experience. That’s why this centrally located hotel got listed as one of the top hotels in Kolkata! The management is always eager to receive queries from enthusiastic tourists – so explore their website and get in touch with them before your next visit to the city of joy.
READ ALSO OUR NEW UPDATES
- #TrendAlert: Top 3 Places to Buy Beautiful Sarees in Kolkata
- #BeSmartStayCheap: Top 3 Within-Budget Hotels in Kolkata
- Some Interesting Places in Kolkata That You Must-Visit
- How Kolkata is Winning Hearts With its Sumptuous Food Trail
- #FeelTheCity: First-Rate Tours in Kolkata That You Gotta Take RN
- Best Places for Children to Enjoy in Kolkata
- Best Weekend Destinations near Kolkata to Visit RN
- Where to Spend a Romantic Evening in Kolkata?